NEST is created by YOU. By purchasing a membership, you are committing to participate in the ongoing creation of this community, along fundamental principles & guidelines.
There are many ways to do this, and one of the most fundamental is through volunteering for a team. Other ways to participate are through the creation of an art project, running a theme camp, coordinating an activity, or bringing your own creative wizardry to light onsite.
Are you new to NEST?
Welcome new Nestlings! If you are looking for a way to participate, and you aren't sure what you would like to do, there are two great ways to help out. First, if you are able to come early or stay late, please participate in Build or Strike.
Second, if you're wondering how to participate during the event, please consider taking a staffing role within your community - it takes LOTS of eager hands to make happen the likes of the Gate & Greeting experience, the Community Hub, the Rangers stewarding team, and the execution of our all-important Leave No Trace (LNT) policy!
NEST has 5 main Participation Teams called Production, Operations, Community, Logistics and Arts & Entertainment. Each team has several roles that require both Leads, Co-leads, and General Participants. These roles are fundamental to the production of our event. They are a fabulous way to get to know our community, an can help you hone or learn new skills. These roles require a variety of pre-event and on-site contribution, depending on your availability. Once you have read through the roles, please fill out our Participation Form to express interest in the role(s) that best suit your interests.
- Production: Pre-event & On-site
- The Production Team makes sure events runs smoothly. We need 4 individuals who have experience of the event production, who can assist with pre-event planning and on-site, live event management.
- Are you good with numbers? NEST needs a Finance Lead for the event who has previous experience budgeting and working with groups to ensure all expenses are properly tallied.
- Calling all creative wordsmiths and website or email wizards. We need 2 people who will be responsible for management of our communications, including email content and website development. This team mostly functions online and pre-event.
- We need 1-2 people who will be responsible for ticketing, including management of our ticketing tool and answering questions. This team mostly functions online and pre-event.
- Health & Safety:
- This person or team will be responsible for putting together a risk assessment for the event and check adherence to risk assessment during build.
- Festival for All - Family Liaison & Accessibility:
- Ensure that everyone, even the smallest Nestling’s, are taken care of. This person works directly with families to ensure child safety needs are met, and works directly with any individuals who require special assistance during the event. They will also work to ensure placement of families, workshops and activities to suit children are available.
- Communal Meal Plan:
- We are still determining if a communal meal plan will be feasible, but there will still be many food orders to be placed before we arrive onsite. This team will be responsible for sourcing and ordering food, and for setting up a roster for communal meal plan volunteers.
Click here for details on lead role requirements in the Operations Team
- Participants Organization:
- This team will be responsible for the allocation volunteers pre-event and onsite. Work with Leads on other teams to understand their volunteer requirements, including specific skills needed, and recruit Nestlings to the task prior to the event. You will also work closely with the Info Hub to recruit onsite volunteers.
- Leave No Trace/LNT:
- The LNT team will create an LNT plan for NEST, and coordinate volunteers to ensure LNT practices are upheld throughout the festival. This includes creation of a complete waste management plan, daily MOOP runs and management of waste during Strike.
- The Fluffing team is responsible for keeping our hard workers hydrated and fed. They are responsible for ordering fluffing supplies, coordinating volunteers and ensuring that our volunteers are given some love. This is an extremely important team during Build and Strike.
- Help people enter the world of NEST. The Gate Team will coordinate the structure of gate and organize volunteers to ensure all shifts for gate are covered. The team will also be responsible for ordering wristbands and sourcing scanning devices. They will create a Gate procedures guide to ensure smooth flow into the festival, and will oversee parking permits for cars onsite.
- Do you love hugs? The Greeters Team will coordinate the structure of the greeting station and organize volunteers. Guide new arrivals through the principles and important information (e.g., photos, consent, site rules) and welcome them home. Distribute programs, direct people to camping, bunks, etc.
- Info hub:
- We have a new role! Help Nestlings get the information they need, including on-site questions and signing up for volunteer shifts. This team will work to create an information station and organize volunteers.
- Infrastructure transportation:
- This team ensures that all materials needed for NEST arrive safely and are returned to the proper locations. They oversee the pick-up and drop-off point (for a week pre and post-event) in London and arrange for people to book space in the trucks (for art pieces, etc). They are responsible for finding a suitable truck company and arranging drivers (with correct licenses) to drop-off and pick-up loaded materials onsite.
- Human transportation:
- This team ensures that all people arrive safely and are returned to their proper locations. This includes putting together a census for coach times and areas to leave from within London, oversee web integration for attendees to book onto coaches, find a suitable coach company, and gather all information for costs/logistics for public transportation options.
- The construction team will be responsible for the coordination of materials and people for build and strike, including all communal structures that must be constructed on-site. They will also be responsible for the coordination of Toolhouse, and ensuring any loaned materials are returned. Previous experience and a site-visit to NEST are required for the Lead position of this team, but not required for volunteers.
- We need all hands on deck several days before the festival to ensure NEST looks amazing before everyone arrives. This includes general construction and site decor. If you have a bit of time to commit before NEST, come help us set-up!
- Do you have a few days to spare after the festival? This team ensures that we leave the site in exactly the same condition we found it (and possibly a little cleaner). We need a strong Lead for this role who can coordinate volunteers after the festival and direct them to useful areas, and who can work with other teams to ensure a solid Strike plan is in place before the festival. We need multiple volunteers for this role.
- Fire safety:
- We want to have multiple art pieces to burn this year, but we also want to do it safely. This team ensures fire safety for the burns - previous experience required.
- Storage & Inventory:
- We need a team of organizational wizards to figure out what we have in storage and inventory the contents both pre-event and post-event.
- Maps & Signage:
- NEST needs a new site map and better signage. Help attendees navigate the event site through creation of digital and printed site maps, and signage for the site.
ARTS AND ENTERTAINMENT TEAM
- SITE DECOR:
- Make NEST beautiful! We need a team to coordinate decoration efforts in communal areas. The role will include making choices about decor, plus coordination of volunteers. We need people both before the event and after strike to help make sure all decor is put up and taken down. The Lead for this team will be responsible for planning and volunteer coordination.
- Sound: Live Stage & DJs
- Do you know about sound equipment? We need a team to source proper equipment and get it up and running on-site. Experiences is necessary for a Lead position.
- DJs & Live Music:
- Coordinate members of our community who want to DJ or play on the live stage, and make sure there is a wide variety of music. This team is in charge of the line-up for the entire event. On this team you will create and collect applications for DJs and live musicians, plan suitable times and areas for them, and work to ensure any specialized equipment is sourced pre-event.
- This team will work to create beautiful lighting around the NEST site. We own most of our own equipment, so this is a great opportunity to learn about planning and rigging for an event this size.
- Space Adoption:
- The space adoption team will coordinate efforts surrounding theme camps throughout the festival grounds (including theme cabins), and will work closely with the Site Decor Team to ensure communal areas are decorated and properly equipped. This is for both temporary and permanent adoption throughout the event, and anywhere that people want to create something awesome. This team oversees all applications for theme camps (which must include plans for H&S, LNT and Strike), plan times and areas, and inform programming of timed events.
- There will be amazing workshops, performances, DJs, live music and other events taking place at NEST. We need a team to ensure the best what/where/when of these activities, and organize it into a printed program.
- Temple & Effigy:
- Burn baby Burn - the Temple and Effigy Teams will oversee design and build efforts for both structures, and coordinate with the Fire Safety lead to ensure the best placement and time to burn.
- Film & Photography:
- We need a team to head NEST 2016’s visual legacy through video, photography, sound bites - whatever you think is best to capture the spirit of our event.
Click here for details on lead role requirements in the Arts & Entertainment team